Thursday, June 7, 2007

Stan Lee and Disney

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

I was kind of avoiding blogging about this, but someone asked me why I didn't even reference something that is such a big deal for comics and movies. Well, the entire reason I haven't is because I just don't like Stan Lee. Before anyone gets bent out of shape about me saying that, let me qualify it.

I think Stan "the Man" Lee was great for comics for many many years. Was. I always enjoyed finding him in Marvel movies for his little cameos. But the problem is that he has never updated himself, and his schtick has gotten long in the tooth. I would have to say the moment he jumped the shark was when he did the superhero reality show, "Who Wants To Be A Superhero". Lame. And normally I wouldn't blame someone like Stan Lee for his involvement, we will all do something stupid in our lives for money (mine involved an orangutan, 3 cases of bananas, 2 pounds of butter and a hotel room), but this was Stan's idea, he was the host and the executive producer. He is implicit in that piece of crap.

Need more proof? Plots for his new work with Pow! (The company Disney bought that was announced the other day):

Mosaic

It is the story of an aspiring young actress named Maggie (Paquin) who gains chameleon-like powers after she is exposed to an electrical storm and a magic rune. Her powers are from a secret and ancient race called the Chameliel, who are able to hide in plain sight due to their shape shifting abilities. Maggie and a Chamelial named Mosaic (Morrow) must battle another Chameliel named Maniken who is intent on gaining the power of his dead wife and ruling the world.


The Condor

It is the story of a professional skateboarder named Toni Mendez who was severely injured the day his parents died. Though it seemed like he'd never walk again, Toni was outfitted with the nano-technology his parents worked on, regaining his mobilty with superhuman abilities as a side effect. But it turns this technology was used by the ones who set up his parents' death.


What the hell? That's the best "The Man" can come up with? Dunno what I expected actually, he was responsible for Stripperella, after all.

Ok, ok, enough Stan Lee bashing. I guess my point here is that the future of comics is not a man who started at Marvel over 65 years ago. The future is the great young writers and artists out there today. Stan Lee tapped out his own personal "House of Ideas" many, many years ago with legendary ideas like the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Incredible Hulk.

It is time to turn over the reins to the young men and women like Bendis, Millar, Morrison, Whedon, Vaughun, Gail Simone, or even some of the older guard like Peter David, Mark Waid, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Kurt Busiek and Neil Gaiman. I could go on forever with the amoount of amazing talent we are currently blessed with, those are just off the top of my head.

I just hope, in the end, that Stan Lee doesn't embarrass himself or the superhero genre with some of his "ideas" and does better than the two I mentioned here and come up with at least one last iconic character we can all remember him for, all over again.

Excelsior!

CG





1 comment:

Deadpoolite said...

Although I havent been exposed to Stan "The Man" Lee as much as you have I adore the guy. I probably like him for the same reason I like Bruce Campbell, they did something "back then" that did impress me and made an impact on me, so they pretty much have a "crap-free wild card" from me(Bruce Campbell is actually second only to god almighty so yeah you get the picture,lol). Stan Lee isnt getting anyone's job and I for one am glad that there is room for this way "old school dog" to have a say among all the cynicism of today.

I wont buy his current comics and I couldnt care less if he invented a guy called Laundry Scare that gained powers from wearing a pair of unwashed radioactive shocks(dont get any ideas now, it doesnt work, believe me I tried,lol). These people act more as reference points of eras far more romantic and less cynical than what we experiencing at the moment.

Essentially we say the same thing I think, that he is not the future of the medium by no means but an old guy that deserves some respect for his heritage. Just imagine the comics universe without the Stan Lee characters...I can't (but then I hate DC so I cant be objective,lol).

And that's a wrap!



Click the Banner (Get it? Banner... Hulk... nevermind) Hulk vs. Bizarro The Comic Rack webcomic comic book blog


Recent Posts

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.